It is a crime that will result in a mandatory prison sentence if you are found guilty, even if you just possess it. In the event that someone wants to know if you have anything on your computer or want to take it, you must tell them they need to consult a lawyer and get a warrant before taking any of your items. We all know that the best practice for our computers is to not have anything of these kinds on them, but we don’t always know which files are on them.
Q: How is Child Pornography Investigated?
A: As a Federal law enforcement agency, law enforcement agencies are very aggressive in hunting down child pornography on the Internet and trying to map back to the person or persons responsible for creating it. You are virtually recording every interaction you have on the Internet, and of course, any interaction with law enforcement or an undercover officer may be disclosed to them.
Q: Do People Who Possess Child Pornography Have to Register as Sex Offenders?
A: In some states, if an individual is convicted of a sex offense, they will be required to register as a sex offender:
- Sexual battery (including spousal rape, date rape, and statutory rape)
- False imprisonment
- Lewd and lascivious offenses (public exposure, nudity, and other offenses)
- Child molestation
- Child prostitution
- Child pornography
- Unlawful sexual activity with minors\
- Sexual performances by a child
- The selling or buying of minors
Q: What Is a Sexual Predator
A: A sexual predator is an individual who has been convicted of a sex offense that was violent in nature.
Q: What Is Required Information To Register As a Sex Offender
A: Upon release from prison, sex offenders must provide the following information:
- Date of birth
- Social security number
- Height and weight
- Hair and eye color
- Tattoos or other identifying marks
- Fingerprints and palm prints
- Occupation and place of employment
- Residential address
- Vehicle information
- All telephone numbers
- All email addresses, social media handles, and messaging account user name
- Conviction information
- Passport information
- Immigration status/documentation
- Professional license information
- Sex offenders must provide this info to their local sheriff.
Don’t forget to notify your probation officer if any of the above information changes.